Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Please tell me I'm not alone...

I like to think my boys are intelligent. Certainly above average, anyway. Danny particularly. Therefore, I can only assume all the issues we've been having with potty training must be sight related. Please, let there be a logical excuse for the ridiculousness that has taken place inside our bathroom in the last year...

Danny has been steadfast in his resistance toward potty training... at home. At school and the WonderSitter's house he has been, of course, accident free. We were not so lucky at home. In fact, just two weeks ago, he had gone through every pair of underpants he owned between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

There have been lots of problems throughout the process that we've dealt with one at a time: his inability to run to the bathroom at will; his tendency to stand wherever he is and yell for us to come take him to the bathroom; his inability to comprehend the need to "tuck" when seated so as not to pee all over the bathroom and his pants and his severe dislike of having his rear end wiped.

Well, we finally got through most of them or at least found a work around... But the tucking issue has had me stymied. I had tried having him stand to pee but he likes to refer to all bathroom actions as "peeing" which can cause a problem if one is standing. So we had sort of given it up from all the confusion. However, last weekend, my mother-in-law somehow breached the communication gap and in a few short hours had him peeing vertically like a man is supposed to a woman wishes she could. He's been very, very proud of himself and hasn't had an accident since.

Until tonight.

About 30 minutes after he'd gone to bed tonight he called out, as usual. Sigh. He had to go pee. So off we trot to the bathroom across the hall. He lifts the toilet seat. I stand behind him and help him pull down his PJ bottoms and overnight diaper. Then he leans forward to rest his thighs on the toilet bowl. "And what comes next?", I prompt, watching for the beginning trickle.

Nothing.

Grunt.

Uh-oh.

I leaned back and looked down. "Danny! You don't poop standing up!" Too late. "Yes. I want to!"

What a mess that turned out to be. Gah!

5 comments:

Ang said...

You are so not alone in the I WANT TO category. It may not be in the bathroom, but L wants to do things that are not humanly possible. The conversation normally goes..."you can't just _______" from me..."I WANT TO" along with a wail from L...Oh and we have had some doozies...She was instructed not to go down an indoor slide because it had been sprayed with silicone and the place was getting ready to close. She raced over there despite all the adults present yelling no...And down the slide she went. She smelled liked silicone for the rest of the day and she was screaming the whole way down. Scared of the speed the silicone made her go and of the adults yelling...When asked why she did it..."I wanted to." Ah...

Anonymous said...

I had a daughter so I have never had to tackle the standing - sitting issue. But I do remember one of my nephews who was the major focus when my mom and older sister were talking about potty training. I was still in junior high at the time and I babysat this kid and I never had a problem with him. I remember telling him that if he pooped his pants he would wear them that way until his mom got home. Hey, I was only 13 and I wasn't about to deal with poop issues from a kid who could talk! All I can say is that nephew is now 45 and I haven't heard any complaints from his wife...

Anonymous said...

You have a great story to tell at his wedding, ah yes revenge or memories are sometimes sweeter than the present!!

Anonymous said...

Gah!

Poozoe said...

At least he's trying...my sister's 4 1/2 year old will only poop in his diaper. So, he tells them he has to poop, they put a diaper on him, he goes into a corner and poops and then THEY HAVE TO CHANGE HIM...HELLO! That's like full size adult poop!!! I told my sister she needs to tell him he has to change himself.....