Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bargain debasement pricing

Hello. My name is Stella and I am a Bargain Hunter. Sometimes I buy things just because the deal is too good to pass up. But then, I'm also not afraid to spend money, if that makes any sense what so ever. Of course, sometimes I don't get the things I want because I just won't pay that kind of money for them - if they are for me, that is. I guess I don't mind spending lots on others... just not myself. But my ultimate quest is for the supreme bargain. This weekend I found it.

I've been searching for a bunk bed for B. With this in mind I have been watching Craigslist.com and our local freecycle because I can't afford to pay the ridiculous amounts of money that the industry wants for bunk beds. On Saturday I found an ad for a loft bed that looked really nice for $100. Not only is it a full size loft bed but also has 6 drawers, a computer desk, twin trundle and hidden storage. Hidden storage! Say it ain't so! And it was in my own town. Gotta love it, right? So, a little email here. A little email there. And on Monday at 10:00 I, and presumably others, met at the loft bed's home for a viewing and "best offering".

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's competition. So, I arrived a tad early. I thought about blatantly eliciting sympathy with D and his blindness. I am a bad, bad, mom. But, before you think too poorly of me let me explain. By "blatantly" I mean mentioning that D is blind - possibly before we arrive. Maybe working it into the conversation somehow to give us an edge over the competition. And, I said I thought about it. I didn't actually do it. I did have to bring the boys with me to look at the bed but that couldn't be helped. I did, however, leave D's cane in the car. At least until he demanded it at the driveway, at which point he began a temper tantrum and I gave in to the cane since he is supposed to use it anyway, and felt exonerated if a tad guilty for my previous thoughts.

Long story short. We got the bed. It's awesome. It only cost me $100. Not a word was said about D except that he was mad because he wanted to go for a walk and NOT look at a bed (which was completely truthful). I looked the bed up on Amazon when I got home just to see what it might retail for... Get this... $1165 Holy Crap! How's that for bargain shopping???
And all that hidden storage in the back... That's actually a closet. It has a closet rod and everything. Squee! B thinks he's going to be able to hide there and put his stuff in it. Ha! Mama has plans for that area! The bed is up and the boy is happy! Easily my best score! But I am still a bit plagued by the exploiting thoughts I had. I mean, really! I suck!
What's the best bargain you've ever gotten?

3 comments:

Sherry said...

You're not a bad mom...you are a mom and you wanted something...you didn't exploit your child and I think people do worse things that what you were thinking.

I am so impressed with this bargain!! The bed and entire framework is an incredible piece of furniture for $100!!! You really scored and I'm so glad it is your's (or B's really!!).

I have never had a bargain like that. I find bargains on new clothing from designer labels at thrift shops but I have never scored anything nearly as great as what you did with that loft bed!

Unknown said...

First of all, congrats on being one of my bargin-hunting tribesman. I am exactly the same!

Secondly, I SO know the guilt you feel over the temptation to "exploit" D's situation. I had the same with my mother's illness sometimes. In the end, my family and I came up with this "Look. you have a hard situation. If anything, Mom would WANT you to get something out of it." It's not using him unless, say, the bed was for YOU and lie and say it's for him. Or, say, if you use his disabillity to scam checks from the government. But that's not the situation. Try not to be so hard on yourself. You're clearly a fabulous mom (and a nice, honest person).

whymommy said...

Wow, what a great find -- love it!