Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"I'm gonna LIVE!"

That's what Jo (a uterine cancer survivor) & I always say to one another after we've had a check up with our oncologist. Followed by a big, well deserved hug, of course.

So I saw my oncologist today and it appears I am going to live to see another day. I must admit the last few weeks have had me in a nervous tug-o-war deciding whether to call her early & have her schedule a PET scan. There is just something about the milestone appointments that make every ache, twinge & cough seem to be a portent of recurrent cancerous doom. First I felt a fullness under my arm, then I was convinced there was swollen lymph nodes, next thing you know I had one foot on the banana peel and one in the chemo ward. It's a slippery slope of fear and dread that I try to climb with a rope composed of faith. Some days my rope is stronger than others.

But today, today I made it to the top of the slope.

It was my forth 3 month appointment post treatment. For those of you keeping score, that means that at the end of this week I am officially a One Year Breast Cancer Survivor. My lungs sound great. There is not one thing in my blood work that is abnormal. The fullness and bumps under my arm is just the feeling beginning to return and normal muscle striations. In short, I'm looking good!

My PET scan is being scheduled for next month. And tho I do feel great after getting a clean bill of health today I'll feel greatly relieved to know that there are no microscopic troublemakers loitering around my insides anywhere. And in the meantime, I'M GONNA LIVE! and a big hug to everyone.

********************
In other news... While I was visiting Mama C in Maryland I also had the privilege of meeting this lovely lady and her family at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.
I am astounded by the greater community of the internet. Both Mama C and WhyMommy would never have crossed my radar were it not for blogs and bulletin boards.

Should I be thanking Al Gore or something???

5 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE this picture and I'm so jealous that you got to meet and hang out together!

Unknown said...

and a big hug to you too! congratulations!!!!!!

sarah (killerboob)

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Well God bless Al Gore ;)

That is awesome news. I'm so happy for you!!!

Tanya Siekman said...

What blessed news! Congratulations! You've whupped it's butt.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Whupps -- did I forget to leave a comment? This is GREAT news, and I loved meeting you last week!

Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad that you're NED with all this behind you at this point. Very exciting.

I am so grateful to have met you....